Here at Securr, we manufacture our waste receptacles using the highest quality material, including galvanealed steel. But what is galvanealed steel? Let’s take a closer look at what it is, how it’s made, and why it is considered a quality material.
What is galvanealed steel?
Galvanealed steel is a type of coated steel that has been treated with both galvanizing and annealing processes. It is made by first dipping the steel into a molten zinc bath to create a protective zinc coating on the surface of the steel. Afterward, the coated steel is annealed or heat-treated in a furnace, allowing the zinc to diffuse into the steel, resulting in a zinc-iron alloy layer. The process creates a surface finish that is both matte and rough in texture, making it ideal for painting and other types of surface finishing.
How is galvanealed steel made?
The galvannealing process starts with a sheet or coil of cold-rolled steel. The steel is cleaned and rinsed before being dipped into a molten zinc bath, where it is thoroughly coated with zinc. The steel is then immediately passed through an annealing furnace, where it is heated to a temperature between 800 and 900 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat allows the zinc to diffuse into the steel, creating a zinc-iron alloy layer that is tightly bonded to the steel. The thickness of the coating and the duration of the annealing process determines the properties of the galvanealed steel. For instance, a longer annealing time leads to a thicker coating and a higher tensile strength. The zinc-iron alloy layer provides corrosion protection, while the annealing process gives the steel increased strength and formability.
Why is galvanealed steel a quality material?
Galvanealed steel is a popular choice for various applications due to its unique properties. Here are some of the reasons why we consider it a quality material:
- Corrosion resistance - The zinc-iron alloy layer in galvanealed steel provides excellent corrosion resistance. The layer forms a protective barrier that prevents rust and other types of corrosion, making it ideal for outdoor applications or in humid environments.
- Formability - Galvanealed steel is highly formable due to its unique combination of the zinc-iron alloy layer and the annealing process. The steel can be easily formed into different shapes and sizes without cracking or breaking.
- Paint adhesion - The matte and rough texture of the galvanealed steel surface provides excellent paint adhesion. The surface texture allows the paint to bond strongly to the steel, making it resistant to chipping, peeling, and flaking.
- Weldability - Galvanealed steel is easy to weld, making it ideal for various types of fabrication. The annealing process helps to reduce the risk of cracking during the welding process, making it easier to create high-quality welds.
- Durability - The zinc-iron alloy layer provides excellent durability, making galvanealed steel resistant to abrasions and impacts. It is ideal for high-traffic areas or applications where the steel may be exposed to wear and tear.
Contact Securr today!
At Securr, we both design and manufacture our trash cans right here in our state-of-the-art facility in Southern California. If you’re looking for the best trash cans at the most affordable prices, then contact us at 888-671-7066 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Our customer service representatives can answer all your questions so that you can choose a solution with confidence. Contact us today!